Stay socially connected in your host country
Build your local support network or swap stories with other international students sharing similar experiences .Use social networking sites/apps to find international student groups, or people in your city who share similar hobbies.
Reach out to friends, family and/or personal support networks
Talk to someone close and trusted. Try:
- Scheduling weekly/monthly Skype sessions with family or friends
- Traveling and sending postcards back home
- Writing emails or letters
- Switching off social media for a while
- Joining student communities
- Keeping a busy schedule
- Meeting new people
- Be open to new experiences
- Travel and explore with new friends
Exercise regularly, eat healthy and look after yourself
Poor eating habits and sleep deprivation is also known to trigger stress. So, eat nutritious meals and rest well. Try cooking your meals at home instead of eating out often or binging on takeaway food. Exercise improves both physical and mental health. Ensure that you stay active by going for a walk/run, swim or working out in the gym. Meditation, yoga and deep breathing exercises can also help you stay calm and composed.