Welcome to Destination Partners

Student Visa Requirement in Spain, Process, Fees & Application

Applying for Spain student visa? Here’s help!

Student visas in Spain are usually easy to obtain after you get accepted into a Spanish university. Foreign (non-EU) students generally need a long-term visa to enter Spain, which can be requested from a Spanish consulate or embassy in your country of permanent residence. However, US students do not require a study visa if they plan on being in the country for less than 90 days.

EU Students

Students from the EU and the EEA do not need a student visa to study in Spain. If your stay in Spain will be longer than 90 days, it is mandatory that you apply for a residence permit or Foreigner Identity Card (TIE) within 30 days of arrival. This is done at your local Foreigner’s Office.

Make sure to bring a national identity card or passport, as well as a valid European Health Insurance Card with you in order to be officially added to the population register.

Non-EU Students

Obtaining a student visa to study in Spain is usually easy to obtain after you have enrolled in a Spanish university. The requirements for a student visa consist of the following:
  • A valid passport.
  • Medical insurance that will cover any costs for the duration of your studying in Spain. Having student medical insurance is very important in case of a sudden illness or accidents.
  • Proof that you have the financial resources and accommodation for the period for which you are requesting the visa, and where applicable, the funds to guarantee your return to your country.
  • Bank statement that is proof you can support yourself during your studies
  • Visa applications for a spouse, domestic partner, a child, or children (under the age of eighteen or with a disability) are allowed alongside an application for a study visa. This means they can enter and live legally with you during the duration of your studies in Spain.

Interested in studying abroad with DPIMMI ?​