Welcome to Destination Partners


Protect yourself and your family with insurance

Consider insurance to protect yourself, your family, your home and your belongings.

Healthcare in Italy

Students who study in Italy will also be subjected to a very varied healthcare system. Healthcare is a combination of public and private facilities in Italy, and some public facilities can have long waiting times and necessary facilities.

As an international student intending to study or visit Italy, however, the two main visas for which you can apply both require proof of foreign health insurance and travel insurance coverage. You will most likely apply for a Schengen visa (for trips of up to 90 days) or a national visa (for trips of more than 90 days).

We have several foreign insurance policies that provide coverage to assist international students studying in Italy that will meet and exceed the requirements of the Italian Consulates and Government.

It is essential to get your health care in check if you are going to study abroad in Italy so that you fulfil your visa requirements and have insurance in case you need medical care. Two aspects would impact your health insurance policy required by the Italian government: Your country of origin and length of stay in Italy. 

Country of Origin

Your country of birth will decide whether you need to buy private health insurance or whether your home country protects you. Select countries have bilateral agreements to help cover medical expenses, especially those part of the European Union ( EU). Some countries make you pay medical bills on your own.

EU Residents:

You are permitted to study abroad in Italy without a visa for an indefinite period if you are an EU citizen. Students with an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) are entitled to the same medical benefits they will obtain while studying in Italy back in their home country. The EHIC card covers only state benefits and not private facilities, so students would need to buy a private health insurance plan for Italy if they wish to pursue this standard of treatment.

Non-EU Residents:

If you are a non-EU citizen, it can depend on your duration of stay in Italy for a visa and your health care. You can travel under the Schengen Visa if you want to travel to Italy for 90 days or less. This visa requires that you have a minimum of EUR 37,500 to be allowed to enter the country.

With a letter from the insurance provider demonstrating that you have coverage for medical costs, medical evacuation, and repatriation of remains, you would need to provide evidence of coverage.

You will need to apply for a Student Visa that entitles you to medical treatment in the country if you are travelling to Italy for more than 90 days. You will need to explain that you can cover your medical costs when applying for your Student Visa. You have three options to do so:

  • Get a consular statement stating that, under a bilateral arrangement with your home country, you have a right to medical care in Italy.
  • Enroll in a private health care plan that will cover the entire length of your studies in Italy. A visa letter specifying the form and size of coverage would be mandatory for you. A visa letter specifying the form and size of coverage would be mandatory for you
  • Either through an Italian corporation or association, get health insurance through Italy, such as the Istituto Nazionale delle Assicurazioni (INA) If you need Italian health insurance, we give a Student Safe, Atlas Travel and Europe Travel plan specifically tailored to meet the needs of students studying abroad in Italy.

Interested in studying abroad with DPIMMI ?​