Welcome to Destination Partners

Employment while you study in germany

  • International students coming from EU member states, including Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, or Switzerland, can work 20 hours per week during term times. Although students from these countries can work more than 20 hours per week, it is not advised since they will be treated like employees and not regular students by the state.
  • Students coming from outside of EU member states are only allowed to work 240 half days or 120 full days per year, either in term or during vacations.
  • If you find work as a student assistant, then the 120-day rule does not apply to you. This is because there are no limitations to jobs at the university. However, you will have to inform the foreigners’ registration office if you want to work more hours.
  • If you are a student in a language course/preparatory course, the rules are stricter. What this means is that you are only allowed to work during lecture-free periods and only if you obtain permission from the Federal Employment Agency and the Immigration Office.
  • Work placements count as “regular work” whether they are paid or not. So, the time you spend on a work placement will be deducted from your limit.
  • You can work more hours if the work placement is mandatory and required by your study regulations.
  • Working more than the limit you are assigned is not advised, and it would require you to pay health insurance, unemployment, and nursing care insurance. Additionally, violating the rules might result in deportation.

Interested in studying abroad with DPIMMI ?​