RESIDENCY AND CITIZENSHIP BY INVESTMENT
Portugal is One of Europe’s oldest country. It has a rich historical, cultural and architectural heritage. Its Mediterranean climate, a safe secure and stable condition set, for the families, who wish to conduct business, is the ideal place. Portugal’s fast developing markets provide more opportunities to the potential investors. It invokes to the investors and gives following facilities-
- Residence visa waiver for entering Portugal.
- Live and work in Portugal.
- Visa-free travel within the Schengen member states.
- Permanent residency or citizenship of Portugal after five years as a temporary resident.
- Inclusion of family members, such as spouse or partner, dependent children and dependent parents. Ministry of Foreign Affairs through the Department of Consular Affairs and the Portuguese Trade and Investment Agency (AICEP) offers Portugal’s Golden Resident Permit Program. The aim of this program is, to attract foreign direct investments to the country. This program produces a residency permit in Portugal to non-European Union investors who fulfill one of the investment options below and meet the following requirements:
- Provide proof that investment funds originate from abroad.
- Hold no criminal record.
- The main applicant’s property is not frozen within the boundaries of the EU.
- pay application and processing fees where applicable.
- Enter Portugal for the first time on a valid Schengen visa.
- Meet or exceed the minimum stay requirements. (Seven days for the first year, 14 days for subsequent two-year periods.)
- Property Investment Options.
In July 2015, through Act 63/2015 and Regulatory Decree 15-A/2015, the required investment options were revised and new ones added. Investors can now choose from the following:
Applicants may acquire property valued at €500,000 or more, or
Applicants may acquire property valued at €350,000 or more for properties more than 30 years old or located in urban regeneration areas designated for refurbishing, or
Acquisition of property fitting any of the above requirements with 20% reduction on the minimum amount of investment, if purchased on a low-density population area (€400,000.00 or €280,000.00).
- Capital Investment-Applicants may invest a minimum of €350,000 in research activities. Applicants may invest a minimum of €250,000 in the arts or in the reconstruction or refurbishment of national heritage projects. Applicants may invest a minimum of €500,000 for shares in investment funds or venture capital. Applicants must create 10 or more jobs.